July 21, 2009

Kolhapuri Chicken...

Another weekend gone and no change in status quo.. Another whole week and weekend spent on cleaning and showing the house...A spate of incidents where we had to spent our time outside the house while the realtor and their clients were seeing the house. Our house is so small that my little one keeps asking.,. what are they looking at so much...but still no response so keeping the fingers, toes and arms and legs crossed.

The only highlight of last week was a package from Nupur of "One Hot Stove" which arrived with aromatic messages. She sent me a sampler of the famous Kolhapuri masala, that too a homemade version. She was having a contest for it on her blog and she sweetly offered me a sample even though I didn't win the contest.

Searching for a chicken Kolhapuri recipe, I saw this interesting writeup on the Ten most popular Maharashtrian dishes and Kolhapuri curries was one of them.

The word "Kolhapuri" brings to mind the weirdest combination of items.. Padmini Kolhapuri of the 80s movies( brought back to mind by B4U music), Kolhapuri chappals of which I always had a pair of thru my college days and the stomach unsettling super spiced dhabha Kolhapuri food eaten on college tours.
My better experience with Kolhapuri cooking is limited to eating K. Chicken and veg Kolhapuri in Mumbai and once in Matheran and that too a long time ago. I remember its spine tingling spiciness after a long day walking and documenting Matheran, its spice just highlighting the heat around.( Some people like to eat spicy food and then drink hot tea, but that is a sure fire way of setting my head ablaze in the summer.) Now I just used to associate it with spice, the way Thai food is associated with spice now.

I deliberated over mutton or chicken Kolhapuri and settled on making Chicken Kolhapuri with it. The misal was also very tempting but I had no sprouted beans so went for the chicken. That's next on the agenda.

It turned out to be a very well spiced, ferociously red and fiery looking curry.... took the blandness out of the usual chicken curry. But it was not all heat.. there was a myriad other flavors in it now which I probably was unaware of years back. I didn't even know at that time it had coconut in it.

The combination of the dried coconut, fresh coconut and all the different spices gives it a taste very slightly similar to the varutha aracha chicken curry. I had run out of dried coconut, so I added only fresh coconut.. I am sure its tastes even better with dried coconut.

So I got one more chicken curry to my list of curries. Thanks a lot Nupur, we enjoyed the masala. Now I just need to learn to make it. :) For the Chicken Kolhapuri, I just followed Meera's recipe fully. So here is the recipe for those who want to try it out.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

So,still in wait dear..
lol on the notes of kolhapuri..chicken looks rich and perfect with masala..slurp..!!

Vani said...

That chicken looks super-delicious! Good luck with the house selling.

Hb said...

The words spicy and the look of the dish oh my god is killing me :|

Nupur said...

It was a pleasure sharing a little bit of the masala with you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Now I hope the home sells soon too, that must be pretty odd waiting outside one's own home while strangers look inside!

The curry indeed looks very fiery- but in the last sentence of your post, you mean Meera's recipe and not mine :D just a typo, I guess.

Oh, and the 10 Maharashtrian dishes page that you linked to, I clicked on it and I found 2 of the pictures were stolen from my blog!!! The other pictures are no doubt stolen from other blogs. Left a comment. Sigh.

Mishmash ! said...

i miss those kolhapuri chappals....a pair of them was a must those days.....:)

chakhlere said...

That is looking so appetizing!!
I am also into chicken dishes now a days!! Will try this...as my hubby is a fan of spicy dishes.

Sakshi said...

Wow I like dragon breathing fiery curries and this looks too good to me...but sobs how can I get hold of Nupur's masala??

Shah cooks said...

Ann, learning the art of patience.:) they say good things comes to those who wait.

Vani, Thanks!! if the chicken looks delicious, thanks Meera and Nupur..its all their recipe and masala.

My exper.. the spice and heat i thot would be too much but over time my taste buds have gotten used to a higher level of spice
!

Nupur, typo rectified!And i feel for u .. to have ur photos plagiarized is a very irritating and yet hapless situation. I will change the link's description if it helps.

We really enjoyed the curry and the masala. Thanks again for the oppurtunity.

Shah cooks said...

Shn, those chappals were my fav and my mom hated the condition i used to get them to and still wear them.

Chaklere, yeah, its spicy all right. But the coconut does temper it down. I wonder if there is another version of this curry with coconut in it.

sakshi.. i have only 2 tsp left..:(( else i would sent u some. i can send u any other masala if u want.

Varsha Vipins said...

I am imagining you sitting with toes,arms n legs all crossed..rofl..:D..
Fiery looking curry Shaheen..:)

Meera said...

Your chicken curry looks really delicious. After all, You received an authentic masala from Nupur. Thanks for trying the recipe and link. Hope you enjoyed it.

amna said...

so glad to see nupur's masala kicked you into another post :) that looks delicious!

Parita said...

Truly a treat! kolhapuri cuisine is famous for its spicyness..and your dish surely does justice to it :) hey dont worry m sure u'll get a response soon :)

Mandira said...

wow, this looks delicious. Can't wait to make it now...

Bharathy said...

Curry Looks Super Yummy!..:)
Me too was a great fan of kolhapuri chappals, those school days and used to love getting that deep red colour on the soles, during a rains.. :)

Faiza Ali said...

Kolhapuri chicken looks Yummy and spicy. And Nice click :)

Pooja said...

Wow that is a spicy yummy dish! So tempting! Will definitely try this out :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow....hmmm aroma of kolhapuri masala lingers in blog today.....that's an aromatic and flavour pack recipe...yum...yum...

Asha said...

Hang in there... things will sort out soon and you will be all settled.
Your chicken looks yummy!

Asha

Bong Mom said...

Isn't that spice simply awesome ?